Loneliness is not a pleasant feeling. No matter how hard you try, you can’t completely avoid it. But there are some ways to make it less uncomfortable.
You can do this by accepting it. But how can you accept such an unpleasant feeling? Even loneliness can be good for something (still unpleasant, but good).
The benefits of loneliness are very similar to those of depression.
Many things depend on our point of view. I’ve already mentioned how can you look at the sentence “Nobody cares“. You can be sad about it because you focus on the people you’d want to care about you but they just don’t. Or being anxious, because you’re focused on what people might think of you. On the other hand, you can focus on how invisible you actually are and how free you are to do whatever you want to do.
The same goes with loneliness. It can become unbearable if you focus on the feeling of being all alone in the whole world. I know, you can feel like this even when you’re surrounded by many people or people you love the most.
On the other hand, you can aknowledge and accept your feelings without judging and just let them be. Nothing lasts forever and even this horrible loneliness will pass away eventually.
Some practical tips for coping with loneliness
– You can reach out for more human (or other) contact
– You can embrace your alone time to the fullest by doing things you don’t feel like doing when other people are around
– Focus on others instead of yourself – being in touch with your feelings is great, but if it gets overwhelming, some short-term distractions work better.
– Write a journal and let go of some thoughts
– Learn to comfort yourself, find out what you like and need
– Don’t wait until you get overwhelmed and make some plans about coping with loneliness in times when you feel better
– Talk to a therapist or join a support group (you can even do it online)
You don't have to be alone to feel lonely. https://t.co/GgXaKI6AIy
— TED Talks (@TEDTalks) April 1, 2020
Is there anything you like to do only when you’re alone? Do you think you can use this in the moments when you feel lonely?